Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Too many cooks spoil the broth

I was cooking a meal for a group that runs a company. With a world class chef in the kitchen, they were sure to find a plate the likes of which they'd never sampled before. Before I started, they came to me and said. We are anxious for this culinary masterpiece, however, we'd like for you to add a favorite ingredient from each one of us. Puzzled, I stopped and asked for an explanation. He told me that since they are not likely to ever have a world class chef cook for them, the food (they were all getting the same dish) had to include a favorite ingredient from each one of them.

Reluctantly I agreed, and waited for the list of ingredients. Brad likes liquor, so he'd like for the dish to include some Jamaican rum. Dan likes foie gras (goose liver pate) so I'll need to incorporate it into the mix. Steve is an Italian sandwich guy, so he'd like some cold cuts in the dish. Peter loves clam chowder, so he'd like some Cape Cod clams in the mix. So as I stand next to my pot in front of the stove, and scratch my head thinking of what concoction this mixture of ingredients will render. Surely nothing that I would put my name next to.

The truth is that I'm not a world class chef, but I do feel like one when I walk into a company to develop a web site. Everyone's egos needs to be stroked and their input need to be considered including fonts, colors, logos and designs,  careful not to upset anyone. Like walking around an emotional mine field. Put in the wrong color, the favorite logo is not in the right position, or the favorite font is not used and you put the project in jeopardy. When the project is done, they'll go as far as to say. "I don't know why we have to pay you, we designed the whole site".

No comments: